Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I have a problem

All I can think about is travelling. I mean, you guys all know this sentiment isn't new for me, but it's hit fever pitch. If you were to ask me what I have been up to, I would give you a blank stare and try to come up with some other answer besides what I have been really up to. This obsession with looking at flights, planning detailed excursions, mapping out hot spots for the current year - it's usually manageable. I'm not sure why, but my obsession has hit an all-time high. I literally map out a new trip or think up a new excursion route every single day.

After looking at pictures from Melissa's recent trip to Turkey, etc and Noelle and Matt's Europe photos, I started reminiscing on my past trips. I mostly got to thinking about my time spent in the Middle East. I guess I don't talk about it much; Billy's never even seen pictures. But I have many fond memories there. Living there, learning Arabic, working with refugees - these were seminal experiences in my self-identity and development. I've realized that these are indeed memories that I would like to share, I just never quite feel comfortable interjecting them into conversation. Some may feel comfortable talking of the times they took sleeper trains through this country or that remote region, but I always feel silly interjecting to share the time I did it too. I don't want to "one-up." Am I the silly one for never sharing? My experiences and memories abroad, wherever I have travelled but particularly in the Middle East, remain deeply personal.

In an effort to reflect on that time and to abate this intense, burning, unceasing, relentless desire to go back (does that convey how strong my desire is?), I decided to look at some old pictures. I thought you might like to see some too. A few are below, mostly from my time in Egypt. (I shared more of my feelings about Egypt specifically here.) Mostly these are of the kids we worked with, because whose heart doesn't melt when they look at these guys? And I think we could all use a little softening towards those guys over there in that Middle East right now.
















Soooooo maybe I should become a travel agent in my spare time? Anyone need any travel ideas? Seriously...I have a surplus. It's like Billy's eBay habit - best if directed toward someone else.

4 comments:

matt said...

Throw a dart at a map and we'll meet you and Billy there.

But seriously, let's travel.

caitlin said...

I totally know what you mean, about not really sharing your experience in the Middle East; I felt that way about Japan.

It was so personal and life-shaping, that I feel like any comment I make or any time I interject my experience would not do it justice. To say, "ohh yeah, well in Japan..." would in some ways cheapen the memory. It wasn't some ordinary vacation to be flaunted, it was deeply personal and can only be truly shared at certain special moments.

noelle regina said...

i love this. keep posting the jordan pics. you NEVER talk about it.

khill said...

I wouldn't mind a few ideas and I really wouldn't mind it if we met in the Middle East and you showed me around. How about that?