Wednesday, June 8, 2011

San Rafael Swell

** picture overload. As is sometimes the case, the natural beauty persuades me that 35 pictures is necessary and that others would like to see that many. **

This past weekend Mitch, Billy, Buddy and I went to the San Rafael Swell to camp for a couple of days. It was our first time going there and it was a dream. It's not a state or national park so that means no crowds (as in, we didn't see a soul the whole hike) and wide-open beauty. It also means no services...like maps, outhouses, campsites, etc. All things considered, we were well-prepared for tons of fun.

Adventure family + adventure vehicle





The hikes are all surrounded by old mines. The land was mined for uranium which was then used in the atomic bomb. Exploring the old mines was totally creepy in my opinion. I also was a tad fearful that something would happen. You know how I hate to break rules so there was a lot of "Ummmm maybe we shouldn't climb on that? Ummmm that doesn't look very safe." Hey someone's gotta keep the boys in line.


View from the cave above the mine.


Campsite. Buddy in his champion pose.






We camped near the banks of the muddy river.


The river smelled like pottery class. It wasn't dirty, gross muddy, just clay muddy. It actually felt kind of good on my skin. Basically I'm saying we gave each other facials and skipped on the beach.


Buddy ran wild and free with a smile on his face the whole time.


We were planning on hiking the Muddy Chute hike which is a slot canyon, similar to the Narrows. But after chatting with some Coloradans at our campsite, we learned the water level was too high to safely hike it. I suppose it's to be expected with how the weather has been here. So instead we hiked the Muddy River Gorge. Most of the trail was the actual river, which kept our sunned bodies and sore muscles nice and cool. It also meant there was a lot of "Billy, where's the trail? I want to hike the trail not get lost in the wilderness, run out of water and have to chop my arm off. Seriously, where's the trail." Don't worry, once I got the picture that the river was the trail and this was no Moab with signage, I shut up (and started complaining about something else I'm sure.)

The boys.

There were remnants of the mining times all over the hike. Here is an abandoned miners lodge we found.





Buddy proudly wore his pack the whole weekend and carried all his own water and food.



There were some easy and fun bouldering spots along the hike. It was a pleasant surprise! We loved climbing them and jumping off into the water.


The sheer cliffs were so tall. It made me dizzy to look up and see how small we were.


Mitch was extremely prepared.





Feels like I'm back on the Oregon Trail, fording the river with my oxen. Trying to save those in my wagon who I have incidentally named my sibling's names and who incidentally got killed off depending on who harassed me most recently. OH wait, that's a childhood memory, nevermind.


Hand on hip.


Not my finest hour. At some points the water got up to my hips. Between the water level and the undercurrent, some of us struggled to ford successfully without being swept away...no big deal. Just icin' the ol' turned ankle and bum knee in the muddy river.


Taking a break and nap at lunch time.



All in all it was a grand time - beautiful, sunny weather, incredible landscape and some old fashioned outdoor fun. I'd recommend it.

6 comments:

thegreatestshowonearth said...

I'm sure you found something else to complain about, I liked that. The trip looked real fun.

noelle regina said...

i could have gone for a few more photos. and i'm totally with you re:"UMMMM IS THAT A GOOD IDEA?!?!"

matt and i want to adventure vacay with you! are there adventures in the northeast?

xoxo

Glo said...

Mitch WAS extremely prepared!

Shea McGee said...

This leaves me hankering for an adventure!

Jana said...

If you're itchin' for more pics...I posted a few on my blog that i recently started to update again.

http://beastmasterbl8ordie.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/exploring-san-rafael-swell/

Jana said...

whoops this is billy