Saturday, February 5, 2011

Soapbox

I usually populate this blog with family photos and silly goals, but I felt like I had something to say slightly more substantial than the usual. So I suppose it’s a bit of a soapbox and you can feel free to stop reading. On the other hand, I’ve realized that a few of things I’ve seen and experienced might color my vision in a different way. And I feel as though I owe it to the situation and to the people I knew there, to share a bit of what they’ve already shared with me.



With the revolution in Egypt progressing every day, I think back to my time spent there and to the people I grew to love. Mostly I’ve been reflecting on the Egypt I knew, which is quickly changing, God-willing.


The Egyptians are an expressive people. Their speech is often exaggerated and elaborate, descriptive and flowery. Arabic, a language which is already quite guttural, sounds thick and accented in the Egyptian dialect. They are an intensely passionate people, who were the seat of social progress and scientific discovery in ancient times. Egyptians are painfully aware of the slowing progress their society has made since being a world power. They have written about and demanded social progress for as long as We, the American Colonies and We, the United States of America, have demanded it. From Busiri and Hafez to Om Kalthooum, Egyptian patriotism and devotion to change has been there, but if in the shadows, painfully plodding along in word and song. So many political factors weigh in here affecting the lack of sweeping social change, most of which I won’t mention. But of note is the debilitating poverty-political repression cycle. Until intellectuals are allowed to postulate and artists allowed to envision, democracy will not take hold. Until the common Egyptian is allowed to pull themselves out of the coercive grip of poverty through education and financial opportunity, then democracy will not take hold. Until the government sees they are responsible to their people and acts accordingly, democracy will not take hold.


I suppose you can see why I love the Egyptians. Their exaggerated speech and passion is contagious. They may tell you their love for their country extends the length and width of the Nile “miyeoon muura” – a million times, and I believe them. They may throw rocks and sticks and riot in the street and convince you they are a revolutionary army, and I believe them. I believe them because never has there been a more passionate and patriotic people demanding that their government change. I believe them because never has there been a more downtrodden and subjugated people demanding democratic rights and freedoms. And even those are exaggerated statements, but like I said, it’s contagious.


So, as they have been chanting the world over, Innaharda, ehna kullina Misryeen!

Today, we are all Egyptians! A little revolution could do us all some good.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Get this girl back on a debate team! Quick!!

No really, you have great things to say, thank you for sharing. I was actually going to call you this week because I wanted to hear your take on what is going on. As aware as I am trying to be, Egypt is a world that is so foreign and far away. Don't stop writing these things down because you feel like your blog should be pictures of you on family vacations. Loves.