Monday, May 2, 2011

Mexico Part 3: Puerto Vallarta

After Cabo San Lucas, we were supposed to stop at Mazatlan, but then a bunch of people got murdered (whoops) so we had to bipass. On to Puerto Vallarta.

Here I am doing my customary souvenir shopping at a jewelry store. I ended up buying some sterling silver and turquoise earrings (are you surprised?), one of which I then promptly lost about a week later (again, are you surprised?)



We went into Old Town PV.





A fresh, homemade doughnut on my way to church? Don't mind if I do. Can every Sunday begin with a fresh doughnut?


I enjoyed the more rural, rustic style of the old churches and cathedrals here. They differed so much from the churches and cathedrals that I saw in Mexico City, especially from the famous Zocalo.


I loved the hand-painted blue and white ceramics that were all around the town. And this specific church had a beautiful bird theme; I loved it.





We stopped at a sweets shop on our way to the beach. See the sheer joy on the Beast's face? This man loves to eat. Approximately 1 hr later he was moaning and groaning because he ate too much. I know this is not a surprise to any of you.


Discovering a country's sweets is really fun. So many variations on similar themes! Some sort of fried dough with sugar? Check. A lollipop of sorts? Check. A gummy in the shape of some animal? Check.


We then went on a very long and very windy trip up the hills of PV to a water hole nestled in some jungle.

Here we are part-way up the hill. Everything was so, so blue. Can I have that high-rise apartment with the view, please? Thanks.

The watering hole! Rope swings! Traditional Mexican Restaurant! Yes please. The water was cool and green, with so many pretty birds and such all around.



For our last Mexican supper, the Anderson clan went out. Sorry these pictures are blurry and dark (low light!), but you get the drift.

Here I am telling Billy not to order sangria cause it has alcohol. Although he is taking the picture, you can also assume that he is arguing his point which is that he believes sangria just has fruit punch and lemonade in it. You can also assume that I countered with physical proof in the form of ordering the drink, while repeatedly pointing to it being listed under the Bar Menu, and not the Regular Drink Menu. It's ok, Beast - you win some, you lose some.


Fresh guac made before our eyes. Delicioso.


He will serenade you too for free (+ 40 peso tip.)
OK that's almost it for recapping Mexico, except the next post will be the best. So you'll probably want to see it. So you should probably check back for that.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Looks like a lot of fun. When we were in Spain last year "we" also got an alcoholic drink. Husband HAD to try it just to make sure. And it was not virgin. Then my brothers had to try it just in case. What is it about boys?