...tilling the soil is hard work. Those farmers/pioneers weren't kiddin' around when they moved out west and had to break soil. Working the land by the sweat of your brow is difficult, let alone yielding enough crop to like feed people or whatever. So, I started a garden this year. (It's my first attempt). So far, my success rate is about 50%. Carrots failed, but onions are thriving. Radishes look so-so, peas look so-so. I am sure my success rate would be MUCH lower if it wasn't for ol' Ashley Lovell Thompson and that green thumb of hers that was passed down from ol' Lori (wish Lori had a blog I could link to).
Besides my vegetable garden, I have a kick A flower garden. Guaranteed that all these big roses and peonies you've been seein' around town, don't compare to mine. Just saying. Ok, maybe other people have big roses and peonies too but Phil Badger said my rose was most definitely one of the largest he had ever seen and his mom won a price in the Flower Competition at the Utah State Fair last year, so he knows; he's an expert. Oh, and I measured one of my largest roses - 8.5" diameter!! Beat that, suckers! And I've got them growing in NINE color variations! Ok didn't mean to get so serious about that.




Alls I'm saying is that if you give me a few weeks, I'll be handing out summer squash and roma tomatoes like they're Halloween candy. Or at least, I can be optimistic can't I?
An out-of-focus picture of exemplar roses
Said successful flowers
The onions
The green bell peppers
*I apologize for my use of ellipses. I know you usually check the Beast's blog when you want a good (or erroneous) use of ellipses. However by way of explanation, I thought they would provide a nice clincher, tie-in, what-have-you, for this post.
1 comment:
i am no garden expert - ask A Lo and Becca - but i'm really proud of you. looks like a hell of a time
Post a Comment