Turns out I'm the busiest semi-employed person around. A few things that have been keeping me busy
1. Twitter (ok not really keeping me busy but I am shamelessly requesting you all become friends with me on there. I feel stupid tweeting to my 3 followers. This blog can get me at least 3 more I'm sure) - follow me @janaanderson. I think I'm funniest on there and I am thoroughly enjoying following the likes of Bl8ordieblog and Brian Boitano.
2. Projects - so I've been doing projects of all types lately. I thought I'd share the ottoman I made and upholstered in my Upholstery Class. It was really, really, really fun and I'm mildly-super-into upholstery right now. I'm signing up for the advanced class where I plan to recover either a vintage wingback or couch. It's slightly intimidating. Wish me luck.
Here some iPhone pictures of the process.
First I built the rectangular wood shape of the ottoman, corner blocked for strength. Then I weaved the webbing.
This is no foam only cushion. I used real furniture springs that have a mind of their own, but are really strong.
Then lots of layers of different types of fill, foam and batting, including around the edges of the wood shape so it's not sharp.
Covered in burlap on top of the many, many layers of fill.
Even more layers of batting, fill, etc. Covered again in muslin.
Lumpy and awkward, but a rectangle so at least I'm on the right track?
I picked out this fabric once I decided to do the ottoman for my sister. Their little family includes two of the cutest boys and they are building a new big farmhouse in upstate NY in the spring. This includes decorating a nursery for the two boys. I figured she could really use the ottoman at the foot of a rocking chair in there, so I picked this fabric in the colors she talked of using - light blue/aqua and brown. I wouldn't necessarily use the fabric in my home, but I think it's perfect for her's and I like the geometric pattern.
First covering in the final fabric.
OK skipped a few steps here that don't have pictures, but I sewed a piping along the edges and boxing for the wood frame. Then painted some legs chocolate brown and here is the final product (please ignore the bow...I took this last minute post-wrapping and pre-mailing)
Top Angle.
I have recently upholstered a headboard for our bedroom, refinished a dresser and a bookshelf. I'll have to document and show you guys those too.
6 comments:
We have to finish that nailhead trim ASAP!
Oh, and maybe I will join twitter for you. Sounds like something I could get into.
omg I LOVE THIS. well done j ko. it's gorgeous.
so..when you move to philly, let us trade skills. i'll teach you how to george and you can teach me how to upholster.
um, I'm very jealous of this class you took. the ottoman just looks so good.
Wow Jana, I'm impressed!! That ottoman came out great! You definitely have some Gwen in you!
Post a Comment