I start where I left off...
So on Sunday, the Beast and I went to Wicker Park to do some thrifting and check out some of the sustainable clothing lines and stores that are popping up in Chicago. We went to THIS amazing store and talked with the owner/designer. It was great to "talk shop" (mostly design and sourcing and production) and hear how another small label has produced their designs. We also found my dream vintage shop; it's entirely devoted to boots and purses. Everything, from their interiors, branding, location, and products, was entirely perfect. They had some beautiful vintage frye campus' in my size, but a little out of my price range. Here I am in front of the store. If I look "layered up" and/or a little cold, it's because I am. Layers of long johns and thermals still did not suffice against the Chicago wind and cold. Always one to beleaguer a point, let me say it one more time: I've never been so cold in my whole life as I was in Chicago. There, point reiterated.

Shannon and Nick met Billy, Gard and I for dinner at the best Chicago-styled pizza I've ever had (we got it another night because it was so good.) Thanks for splitting two large pies with us, guys. We made a good team. Shannon coached me through the job search and drank two very large diet cokes with me, Nick shared about getting his dream job, we exchanged Peru stories, and the Cottrells even gave us three a ride back to Gard's apartment.
Here it is. Let me explain what you see in this blurry iPhone picture: the red marinara pizza sauce is ON TOP OF THE CHEESE. Yes, you heard me. Lou Malanatis is throwing us all for a loop here, but Chicago likes to do it their way. Where in New York, I can easily throw down 3 slices (despite their large size), in Chicago with the deep dish, well... I still easily threw down 3-4 slices, but I regretted it. I could have been satisfied with 2. Now you know.
Perhaps the best activity of the weekend was the segway tour we took of the city. Brian, our tour guide was killer. He had a very well-groomed handle bar mustache and was very passionate about his Chicago Bears (bears? cubs? sox? one of those sports teams that plays in the only publicly owned stadium in the country. publicly owned meant we could segway through the stadium. jealous? you should be. it was awesome (cold).)
Now here are some portraits mid-ride. Feel the wind (whipping, biting, bitter wind) in our hair? Er helmets?




Here is a video Billy made of the ride. I'm not confident this will load correctly in blogger (ihateyou) so here it is on Billy's blog
Overall, Chicago was quite the time. We enjoyed lots of Anderson Family time, saw some lovely sites in the city, and ate some good food. We can't wait to go back again (in either Fall, Spring or Summer)!
2 comments:
jana!! you're so funny. i love your chicago trip! i wish i would have had time to go on a segway tour! that sounds rad.
you still look smoking-even with layers of long underwear.
oh, how i wish i was dining with that very group at this very moment.
Post a Comment