Life has a funny way of not quite working out as we might expect. Had you told me 4 years ago that I would be married (NO WAY), (still) living in Utah and working at a fashion designer (oh yeah - small change happened recently), I would have told you that you didn't know me. Didn't you know I was destined to travel the world, learning languages, working with local people, untethered and free? Yet here I am, married, living downtown, working hard, and very happy about all of it. Neither is better, just different and this is where I am.
Four years ago I had just returned from living in the Middle East. As Kat pointed out on our trip to Peru last month, I don't talk about my experiences there very much. I guess I am afraid I won't do it justice, or people won't understand. After all, it's such a misunderstood culture and region. But, it was a very special, and dare I say, sacred time for me. I fell in love with a gutteral language and religious culture, distant travel and even more distant history. Dark, dark skin and beautiful hijabs, and a warm and fiercely committed people. It was wonderful. And I miss it.
That's when Joey saves me through his pictures. We studied Arabic together and he is a fantastic speaker. He's grown up all of the world, speaks all sorts of languages, and has a dark beard that dares anyone to call him an American. About a year and a half ago, he bought a one-way ticket to India and hasn't turned back. Since then he's seen
India
Nepal
Pakistan
Kashmir
Ethiopia
China
Turkey
Syria
Egypt
Southeast Asia
Italy
(Am I missing any?)
All along the way he photographs. His pictures are truly stunning. In an age where we all grab our Canons and call ourselves a photographer, his pictures are masterful. I love his images of people. These faces are from all walks of life and from every nation. They're beautiful and impactful.
Do yourself a favor and take some time to look at HIS PICTURES (my personal favorites are Egypt (duh), India, Iran - I mean do you know anyone else that has been to Iran?!?) Remind yourself about the World and all the fascinating people and places in it. It's good for you.
PS - If you're interested in buying some of Joey's pictures, they are a screamin' deal (we're talking less than the price of a dinner) for beautiful, original artwork! Oh, and it will keep him afloat as he makes it to his next stop - NORWAY! And I have a coupon code if you want an even better deal.
DO IT.



3 comments:
I checked this out and these pictures are wonderful. I'm going to sell some books and try to buy some.
These are absolutely amazing - seriously, I'm having trouble picking just one.
PS. Please divulge more about the career switch!
i am in love. there are some photos i think we need in our home. he is GOOD. so, so good.
Post a Comment