Friday, May 9, 2008

"Don't worry! It's just a 125 cc!"

Day 3:

"The first thing I want to do is teach you to ride a motorcyle!" -Billy
I warned him - I am not good at things. Let me explain:

First time water skiing = nearly drowned, have tried 5 times since and have never gotten up
First time skiing = fractured a tailbone
Riding a bike = TERRIBLE, picture three cars lined up behind me on 7th east

Well, you get the picture. So Billy and his dad confirm to me that they have taught many people and no one has ever fallen or crashed. That gives me some confidence (note: I failed to consider that they are from Minnesota and people do things like ride tractors there so learning on a motorcycle is only a small step forward from that.)


After a lengthy debriefing, I start my first run. Success! I have shifted up to first gear, gone around once, and successfully stopped.


I begin my second run; I shift to second gear!!! I am so excited I have to stop so that Billy can come congratulate me. Little did I realize that my baby hands couldn't brake without also revving the gas (those who ride bikes understand). My back wheel spins out and the bike flips on top of me. CRASH! I stand up; my legs hurt so bad! Something was burning my inner thigh. See below.


Turns out, I exhaust system tattooed (read: burned) itself into my thigh, blistering and purple, along with some other choices bruises and cuts. But, no fear - I am tough! I only cried for a moment. I love being the first to do things....WRONG! No problem with me! Luckily, Billy's sister had an extra pair of yoga pants for me to wear...the rest of the weekend....while meeting all of his extended family; not embarrassing or anything I love looking my best...in sweats.

Needless to say the rest of the day was about relaxing, sleeping off pain, and watching movies.

t.b.c.

No comments: