Wednesday, October 5, 2011

One Year of Changes


I’ve been meaning to write this post for some time but haven’t done so. Honestly, for a long time I couldn’t believe that what was happening was real and in an effort not to jinx it I didn’t share. But it’s been a year now, so I suppose I should share what I have been up to.

Last summer, I took a big leap of faith and quit the very exhausting corporate job I had and began working for a clothing business that-shall-not-be-named. I loved it; and then it was sold to a super large California company. For a while I commuted and telecommuted and then that ended. In a very odd series of events, I began working for a local catering business. Liz, the owner and chef, had a wonderful product and a very devoted clientele who represented a certain tax bracket that I am certain I will never comprehend personally. But, she was a bit overwhelmed with her 4 yr old business; she was doing everything herself. So I started helping with some of the business development and styling at her events. From there it all sort of snowballed. I learned flower arranging and formal setting requirements; I made contacts at venues and rental companies. I designed and styled photoshoots. All of a sudden clients started asking me to do their events. At first my response was “Jigga what? Jjj – me?” or something like that in a more professional tone. So then I started formally offering my event design and coordination services. And the snowball kept rolling. In an effort to confuse metaphors, I will compare it to the elusive “rollercoaster” where you are just along for the ride. Clients ask me to do something, I figure out how to charge them and then we go with it.  I’ve done everything from Sundance parties to weddings to gallery openings to private holiday parties to non-profit fundraisers to transvestite New Year’s parties. I have even done a gala and a funeral. I have been able to work for the likes of Bobby Kennedy Jr. and Katie Couric, and all sorts of other fascinating local and national personalities. When I look back at this year, I am amazed at the opportunities I have had, particularly given the fact that we do absolutely no advertising and are all word of mouth. Secretly with each event, comes this little fear inside me that this time it might not go so well and someone is going to figure out I’m a fake. I guess it’s that little fear of failure that keeps me trying new things and constantly wanting to improve what I do.

This has been such a growing experience filled with sufficient growing pains and a continual amazement at the very moderate and unexpected success I’ve had. I realize there has been so much support and coaching from near and dear friends and family, for which I am incredibly thankful. I’m not sure how long I will do this; like I said this is certainly a rollercoaster. But for now I am enjoying trying something new and different, and developing in the process.

Cheers to all the possibility that one year can hold!

7 comments:

caitlin said...

I totally get the "faking it 'til you make it" thing, but you aren't faking it. It doesn't matter if you just happened to fall into doing this, you have a natural talent and ability and that makes you l-e-g-i-t!

Becca said...

awesome, jana. and i'm with caitlin, you're doing it and you're doing a good job, so that's not faking it, right??

MONster said...

You are my idol, Jana.

Shea McGee said...

You are amazing and deserve every ounce of success that comes your way. Seriously, I am so proud.

kfiet said...

not to toot my own horn here, but i totally saw this coming so toot! toot! you deserve all the success in the world! you're all talent, through and through.

Erin + Geoff said...

wow jana, i had no idea!! you should be so proud of yourself.. i am so impressed. hope you and billy are doing well.

Mercedes said...

jana! i randomly found your blog!

you are one crazy talented woman.

i need to hire you to style my booth for this christmas show i am doing. i hate christmas decorations so i am kinda stumped by the whole thing.

i will shoot you an email!

cheers to years! (wow i am so corny today!)